MAJOR ACTIVITIES CONDUCTED
UMDF has conducted a series of workshops at designated centers in Masaka, Soroti, Mukono, Gulu, Hoima, Kasese, Jinja. The thematic topical areas include:
* Human rights reporting
* Contemporary challenges in the media
* Network strengthening
* Reporting on legislative and local government institutions
* Parliamentary reporting for broadcast journalists
* Broadcasting regulation in Uganda
* Media Management challenges in East Africa
* Political reporting
* Evaluation of media reporting of the 2006 elections
* Investigative journalism training for upcountry journalists
* Elections reporting in a multiparty system
* Media and the political transition
* Radio programmes on thematic areas of the media and governance on Mega FM.
As a result of the activities over 400 journalists and media practitioners have benefited in various skills development to constructively engage in public dialogue on governance and democratic discourse. The trainings have stimulated a number of UMDF members and beneficiaries to advance their carriers in academia to first degree, Masters and PHD levels.
UMDF today prides in a body of variously skilled practitioners in communication, strategic planning and communication strategy development, media law, media training and research, media policy and analysis, information management, monitoring and evaluation of communication strategies, media development and leadership.
Some members are now successful participants in the political arena and have become Members of Parliament, Resident District Commissioners, councilors and local council leaders, negotiating better socio-economic policies, fighting corruption, influencing and lobbying government for better governance.